Pokémon Go is taking the internet by storm. Before its release there had been a lot of talk about this newest game in the series, and rumours flooded the internet before the Pokémon Company officially revealed it in September 2015. Since then anticipation for its release has been high, and people have been wondering how it will really work. Well, the wait is over as it is finally here.
The app was released in the US on the 7th July 2016, and since then people the world over have been taking to the streets in order to “Catch ‘em All”
What is Pokémon Go?
Pokémon Go is the latest game in the Pokémon saga, and allows users to catch Pokémon whilst walking around in the real world. It was first thought of as part of an April fool’s joke, but gained such a positive reaction, that it was brought into reality.
The app is free to download, although in app purchases are available. There is also a wristband; Pokémon Go Plus, that you can buy and wear which will vibrate when you are near a Pokémon to let you know to get the app out.
How do You play?
Once you start up the app, using the camera on the phone, Pokémon will appear to be right in front of you. They will be a part of whatever you are looking at as you walk around in the real world. You can get notifications from your phone when a Pokémon is near, or with the addition of the Pokémon Go Plus.
The app uses your location to determine what to put in front of you, and can be used almost anywhere in the world, but it will sense grass, or water, where you will find the applicable type of Pokémon. This brings a whole new aspect to the game of Pokémon, but also to apps in general. The Gym’s and shops are located in real places, and you must visit them in order to gain items. In order to level up your Pokémon, you must use Rare Candy, amongst other different sorts of candies, and these can be found on wild Pokémon, or bought in the shops.
This app will hopefully bridge the gap of playing an app and getting people outdoors. Users from all over the world will all of a sudden want to go to the park, or find some rocks to climb on if for no other reason than to see what Pokémon pops out of them, not to mention random streets getting very popular if they’re the local Gym or Poké Stop. Let the games begin!
How to Get Pokémon Go outside the US
- First off, you need to log out of your current, non-US Apple ID on your phone. To do this, open the app store, press the featured tab, then right at the bottom you’ll have the option to sign-out
- Press Settings, then find “general”, then “ Language & Region”, and change the region to the US
- Then, you will need to find any free app and press “Get” before you can do this you will have to make an Apple ID, do this, and in the billing section, press “none”, and add any US address.
- Finally you should now be able to see Pokémon go in the menu, and available to download. You now have all you need to get out and start catching Pokémon of your very own!
Android is a little trickier than iPhone, because the store determines location based on the billing address of the primary payment card. So, unless you have a US card with billing address, you’ll have to try the following method.
- You will need to download the install file directly from the internet. For android, this is .APK (Application Package), so you will need to head over to an APK download site, like APKPure, or APK-dl on your phone, opening it will then begin the install, if it doesn’t then check step 3.
- If you want to do the above on a PC, then continue the same install, but then connect your phone and drag and drop the file into your downloads folder.
Unless you already have it enabled, you will need to head to settings > Security, then enable installation of apps from unknown sources (later versions of android will allow you to enable it on a one time basis for the current download)