BlackBerry has gone and done it, it seems. It has survived another year, this time admittedly with a chance of redeeming itself in the smartphone world. Users in Canada, UK and Middle East are all flocking to the set and the user reviews are pretty outstanding.
After a month of the official release, BlackBerry has released an update, its first official one, for its new BlackBerry 10 OS. This means that BlackBerry Z10 users can avail it and will be made available for other smartphones in the series that are still to be released. Keeping itself focused on user opinion, BB has been making flowery announcements about how user feedback is so important to them- -and hence the update. So what exactly what does the update entail? Here is this specific user’s opinion.
1. Third Party Apps are Back. The new 10 OS did not allow third party apps. Now from a safety point of view this was probably the right move, something that was meant to keep BlackBerry users within the confines of a safe, closed OS and free from BlackBerry spyware or malware. However, users did not like the fact that they couldn’t use apps like WhatsApp like they used to. So, with the update you get them back.
2. Camera. The update gives a new look and some interesting features to the camera, something that wasn’t available in the previous versions. For one, there is better image quality for photos taken in low light. So when you don’t use a flash, the difference would be more visible- -which means that BB has finally decided to pay attention to the camera, something every other major player in the smartphone market boasts of already.
3. Gmail Calendar. Right from the release of the phone, the inability to access the Gmail calendar caused an outcry of some sorts. But other than just the Gmail Calendar, there was a lacking connectivity between the set and other everyday apps. This has been worked out thankfully and additionally the BB Hub got some finishing touches too, making calls and connectivity smoother.
4. Browser, Media Enhancement. Because its essential to give the user a better internet surfing experience, BlackBerry Corp has made tweaks to the browser. Where media is concerned, the browser has now been updated to deal with video playback better. With video streaming being an essential component of smartphone usage, this was definitely a right move.
5. Battery Life. The bane of every smartphone user has to be the hassle that comes with battery life. Other mobile manufactures like Nokia have offered wireless charging options for their users, and BlackBerry attempting to up theirs is a breath of fresh air. The Z10 already came with a pretty decent battery life but the update claims to have come up with new ways to save power, hence giving users longer averages per cycle. Right on spot.
A lot of improvements come with this update and they can be hailed as spot on since they seem to address all the major (and initial) issues that users brought up when confronting the set. The criticism that BlackBerry had launched an update too early can be put to rest if one takes a look at what exactly they’re offering.
Author Bio: Jessica is a nerd through and through. On her better days she can be seen writing about privacy and security issues. She often blogs for Mobistealth and reviews Mobistealth goods. If you want to try it, download the app here.